Your Office Agent organized another cool Pay It Forward (PIF) for Business event at the Satellite and 3110 Lounge in Santa Monica on July 1.
PIF is about bringing the best companies in Santa Monica to give free advice and help grow small and medium sized businesses. It was the 4th PIF since Dec 2012, and it was Free of Charge. The focus has been from entrepreneurs to tech.
Every PIF has a giving wall, where people post their offerings to the community or just tell about their products and services. The Satellite provided an inspirational coworking facility and volunteers together with Your Office Agent team to keep it all simple.
Format of the event
- Firstly, people checked in in the back of 3110 main Street. There were easy to follow directions.
- After checking in, the first place to go was the 3rd Floor of Satellite to write gifts or offers on the giving wall. People also put their business cards into the envelopes under the other offers that they liked. The hosts at Satellite had lemonade for all to give.
- After the giving wall participants proceeded to 31Ten Lounge downstairs to speak to the mentors and enjoy the giving environment.
- From 8.30 to 9pm those who posted offers picked up their envelopes from the third floor and either went home or back to 31ten, where they continued with happy hour drinks and had three separate free beer promotions and played beer pong.
Mentor Prizes and assistance were valued at approximately $20,000 at the event.
There were about 20 companies giving prizes and gifts at the tables. Big Prize – Stubbs Alderton & Markiles were giving away a free company formation to the company with the best story and business plan because they have a great PreAccelerator and want to help local startups. The winner will be announced later in the week. Among dozens of give aways I liked:
1. The Santa Monica Chamber – free membership for one year
2. $5,000 from Media Leaders – media promotion services for your business
3. Insperity, an amazing publicly quoted HR firm, – a dinner for two in Chaya
5. John Shiple – Freelance CTO – free advice and one free consultancy afterwards
6. Peak Hosting – HR advice and a free ipad for the funniest company hosting disaster
7. Nina and her team at Your Office Agent have combined with Regus and Satellite – free month in Regus and Satellite to incubate the lucky start up
There were also offers from other companies: Asure Workspace Software, Swedish Chamber, Microsoft, and others, all there to give and connect.
Santa Monica New Tech also had a table and invited all attendees to our events. We had a display of technologies from 5 years, 3 years and 1 year ago. We told about volunteer oportunities in tech (ex. One Laptop per Child Update 2013). Our offer was one free ticket to our demo/feedback event on July 24 for those who stopped by our table at PIF4!
It was a vibrant networking environment. Thank you to all 450 people for paying it forward!
Watch video by Steven Kostinen http://bit.ly/1brZGzR